quinta-feira, 13 de maio de 2010

One of my favorite movies




Well, I love movies! I think they make us cry, laugh, feel, learn, understand, many things... Good movies are part of our lives.
The one I decided to share with you is Dead Poet's Society. I'm sure you've seen it, if you haven't you must, because I think it is wonderful for anybody, but specially for teachers.
It talks about a teacher, John Keating (Robin Williams), who returns to his former school, now as a literature teacher and starts changing the old-fashioned and traditional methods, but what is more interesting is that he helps his students by showing them how to be free, to pursue their dreams and to believe in themselves.
He faces problems and at the end he has to leave the school, but he has changed many things, specially the lives of his students.
There are many memorable situations and quotations from the movie. Look at some:

John Keating: No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

John Keating: We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?

Dalton: [answering phone] Welton Academy, hello. Yes he is, just a moment. Mr. Nolan, it's for you. It's God. He says we should have girls at Welton.

John Keating: Thank you for playing Mr. Dalton. I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way.

Have a look at one of my favorite parts.

CARPE DIEM!!!!





Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário